Sunday, January 8, 2012

New Digs- A List!

You know how some people say, "Out with the old, in with the new," when January rolls around?

I decided to take that to the max, because I'm hardcore like that and say, "Eff my old apartment and my hometown- I'm out!"**

**which really sounded more like "I love you" "I love you too" "let's live together!" "hell yeah!" "Yay" "SMOOCHSMOOCHSMOOCH"... but you get the picture...

Soooo, I'm moving. My last few moves consisted of:


- Hey, we have no stuff. Let's put our clothes on the carpet and search craigslist!
- Hi Mormons! we have no one to help move our stuff... Hey, THANKS, Mormons!
- Um, I'm 8 months pregnant and need help moving... oh, you have a videogame to play? Cool, I'll just be out here throwing my back out...
- Hey, thanks Marine Corps, for moving all our crap.
- Hey, thanks Marine Corps, for moving all our crap.
- Hey, thanks Marine Corps, for moving all our crap.

So I find that with my limited experience moving, I am thinking all sorts of thoughts and finding out new things about the process all day.  Things like:

1. My mom can probably carry a water buffalo on one shoulder.
2. I own more jackets than one human being should.
3. There is nothing quite so satisfying as laying on your new carpet for the first time, before koolaid and hair balls have a chance to sully the experience.
4. If two people are moving to the same place- they should get walkie-talkies. Sure, it would prolly make communication smoother... but also FREAKING walkie-talkies!
5. This:

6. I am now 98% certain that while I sleep, mischievous gnomes come into my place, and leave belongings. What else would explain how I amassed as many belongings as an entombed Egyptian king, in only a mere 34 years?
7. I am now co-owner of a Costco account. I'm pretty sure that's more legally binding than marriage.
8. I am already plotting pillow fights and hide and go seek bouts and art nights in and bad movie night and drunken Trivial Pursuit matches... and we'll have fun when the boychild is there too.
9. I can already imagine how we'll decorate for next Christmas, and hope we get Trick or Treaters on Halloween.
10. It's an adventure that I'm glad I have such an amazing partner to share it with.

5 comments:

  1. Ack! My excuse for not moving in with my bf ("sorry, hon, I promised Michelle") has now been smashed in a million pieces!
    Seriously, though, moving rawks, if you do it right!
    Yay moving!

    Art nights? What are art nights?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea moving (and finding where the gremlins have hidden your stuff over the years). Moving in together? Has its pluses and minuses (hello storage, cuz between you, you have enough stuff for five people and only space for three), no mattr how much time you've spent together, now you will really "get to know" each other ("I know you're a clean freak, but I left that there for a reason")and if you get tired of him, that town is a virtual "meet market".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I remember why I miss you over at Multiply...you have a fantastic realistic sense of humor...I find myself thinking the same things when moving...although I did the last move mostly by myself, no small feat when you've collected 40 years of stuff and have people with 38, 12, and 10 years of stuff moving with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "7. I am now co-owner of a Costco account. I'm pretty sure that's more legally binding than marriage."

    Right?!?

    I love me a good Missy List. Thank you. :) This did my heart lots of good today, and put me in a more bloggy mood. :) I'll get to my January post, eventually.

    I am just beaming reading this post, BTW. Just so you know. Thing is, I feel really out-of-the-loop about your man. I think I have only seen one pic online, and that was some time ago, and dammit! I want some DEETS. You know where to go for that! :) Pretty please.

    Big love to you both as you take this step.
    xx
    K

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss knowing every single thing going on in your life... Congrats on the move!

    ReplyDelete